Friday, July 2, 2010

Shot in the Butt

Just got my steroid shot in the butt.  The experience was actually not too bad.  Much better than all of the MRIs I've gotten recently.

I went to the Hospital for Special Surgery's facility on East 70th and the FDR.  The waiting room was quite nice, overlooking the East River with a nice view.  It was very spacious, and they had lots of TVs tuned into different channels.  I was watching Rachel Ray.  I have to say, it's little things like this that make a visit to the hospital that much more pleasant.

When it came time for my shot, I had an ultrasound technician come in and take some ultrasound pictures of my butt.  Here's one of them below.


A few moments later, Dr. Gregory Saboeiro came in.  I felt in good hands with Dr. Saboeiro, who's the Chief of the Interventional Radiology Department at HSS.  I told him that I got the injury from running, and he told me that he was also a runner!  In fact, he's done five marathons!  However, the past couple of months he's been suffering from a really nasty case of plantar faciitis, so he hasn't really been running.  So, of course, I had to ask him, "Why don't you just give yourself a steroid injection?"  He said he didn't think that steroid injections were that great for plantar faciitis; I think it was because so much stress is placed on the plantar facia while running that, if the proper amount of rest isn't taken, it could cause it to rupture.  But he said with the piriformis, a steroid injection usually does the trick.

Another reason I liked Dr. Saboeiro is that one of the first things he said when he walked in the door was that the procedure should be a breeze because I was so thin, haha.  Apparently it's harder to find the sciatic notch (which is where my injection was going...I think it's an area around the piriformis) in larger people.  An then, while looking at the ultrasound of my butt, Dr. Saboeiro said, "This is like the best sciatic notch I've ever seen!"  I think I'm going to take that as a complement, whatever it means.

So the shot itself wasn't too bad.  It took about 10 minutes, most of which was prepping the area.  There were then two shots, one anesthetic to numb the area, and the other was the steroid itself.  It was only about two minutes of having a needle in my butt, and it was numb enough that I didn't really feel very much.  It all happened pretty quickly and painlessly.

So now, I'm supposed to take about 3 days off from any kind of exercise involving my legs....which I actually do not mind at all since it is the long weekend and I get to sit on the beach all day!  He says that after about a week, the steroid will be doing its job, and in theory, I should not be feeling any pain.  I can't wait!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment