Friday, October 30, 2009

Carbs, Carbs, Carbs!!!

OK, now I'm starting to get excited.  Marathon weekend is in full swing, and carbo loading has begun!

Yesterday I went to the marathon expo.  To be honest, before yesterday, I didn't even know what corral I was in... all of my pre-race energies focused on Chicago, and until recently my participation in NYC was still up in the air.  But when I picked up my bib, it all started to sink in.  I suddenly rememered why I love the NYC marathon so much--running through the city I call home, feeling like a rockstar with millions of spectators cheering for me, and seeing my friends along the course and the Front Runners handing out water at mile 24.  When I saw my name on the monitor at the D-tag check, an feeling of excitement came over me, and I felt ready to take on the greatest race in the world.


And to further get me pumped up about the race, I randomly saw John and Mike.  Yay!!!


I had planned beforehand not to stay at the expo long, thinking maybe it would stress me out.  I also vowed not to buy any marathon paraphernalia branded "2009" ING NYC Marathon, since I was having some sort of irrational fear that buying any would jinx me and force me to drop out and then get stuck with all this marathon gear for a race I didn't finish.  Besides, I'm saving my money so I can buy an entire wardrobe of "2010 Boston" running clothes.  :-P

So I left the expo early, and went to the first of what is going to be three pasta dinners in a row.  Yesterday's dinner was at Le Zie in Chelsea.  They claim to have the "Best Spaghetti and Meat Balls in Manhattan."  I've had it before and it was quite good.  Last night, though, I opted for the Mezzemaniche with Sausage and Fennel in a Light Tomato Sauce.  I had to ask what mezzemaniche was since I wasn't familiar with it.  Turns out it's short tube with ridges, kind of like a rigatoni cut in half. 

It was really tasty.  I love fennel and I love sausage, and the two of them are a natural combination together.  For some reason, I've only cooked with fennel once in my life (and that wasn't even on purpose; I didn't have any star anise on hand but wanted to make Chinese beef noodle soup, so I improvised).  Anyways, this meal inspired me make something with fennel.  Stay tuned.

OK, off to pasta dinner #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment