Friday, October 23, 2009

Running to Duke's

I am not 100% sure whether I'm running the ING New York City Marathon next Sunday. I really want to do it, even if I don't race it.  I would love to do it as a complete fun run, without any pressure to get a time; that was what I did for the Big Sur Marathon in April, and it turned out to be one of my most enjoyable marathons.

However, after Chicago, I feel like my body has been beseiged with a number of aches and pains.  For one thing, my right butt/hip area has been bothering me since my 20-mile trail run over Labor Day weekend.  It doesn't really bother me when I run, but I can definitely feel it when I'm sitting or walking.  For the first week after the Chicago Marathon, I could not sit for long periods at my desk at work, and was convinced that I had a stress fracture in my butt--the pain felt like it was radiating up and down my thigh.  Last Thursday (10/15), I made an appointment with Dr. Jordan Metzl, my sports medicine doctor, but I couldn't get an appointment until next Monday (10/26).  In the interim, I no longer feel like I have a stress fracture, but I think I may still keep the appointment just to have him check things out.

In addition to my butt issue, I have tendon issues on the tops of both of my feet.  This is more of an annoyance than anything else; I'm thinking my shoes were probably tied to tight when I ran Chicago.  I've been massaging the areas, and applying ice when I remember to, but the inflammation doesn't seem to be going away. 

I pretty much took the week after Chicago off, running 3 miles on Friday 10/15 and 4 on Saturday 10/16.  Sadly, I decided to just cheer instead of run at the Asbury Park Relay Marathon, where the two FRNY teams came in first and second overall


My plan for this week was to run 6 miles at the Wednesday night fun run, and if that felt good, to do 10 on Saturday or Sunday, and if that felt good, I would do the marathon.  Well, Wednesday was a great run for me.  I was keeping pace with Mike Terry during most of the run (although he outkicked me over the last half mile), and I felt like I was flying up the hills.  I think taking those extra rest days really helped strengthen my legs. 

Yesterday, still on a runner's high from the day before, I headed out for an easy 4 miles along the West Side Highway.  This time it didn't go quite as well as the night before.  The Wednesday run definitely took a toll on my legs, and I felt this new thing developing in my right calf.  I ended up turning around and heading back after only 1.5 miles, figuring that it was better to rest up than to overdo it.  I still want to do a 10-miler this weekend; hopefully it will be a good run I'll end up deciding to do NYC next week.  Not sure if I'm going to do said ten-miler tomorrow or on Sunday, though--I got a long night of drinking ahead of me tonight, haha.

Speaking of drinking, I ended up using my $40 gift certificate to Duke's BBQ yesterday.  I got the gift certificate through Groupon, this collective buying service that emails you every day with a ridiculous deal that you can get if enough other people also sign up for the deal.  Most of the deals are restaurant gift certificates with a bunch of random other stuff thrown in.  Anyways, it was my first time at Duke's and I was in for quite a shock.  I think the place normally caters to a pretty fratboy-heavy crowd, but because of the baseball playoffs and a football game yesterday, it was ridiculous.  The good thing was, on football nights, they have $5 margaritas and $2 bud lights.  Oh, and $5 wings.

The runner in me is embarrasesed to say how much food was ordered.  But since this is a food blog...   we ordered the wings, the fried calamari and the full rack of ribs (with baked beans and cole slaw) to be split between two of us.  They were out of the calamari, so we ended up getting the "Smokin' Stack" instead.  OMG, that was ridiculous, but so good.  Onion rings, piled on top of a plate of pulled pork, with cheddar cheese and chipotle sour cream on top.  Seriously, not good for the arteries.  In case you're wondering: no, we did not finish everything.  In fact, I had one single rib and took the entire rest of the rack home.  I'll be working on that over the next few days, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment